Military & Veterans

Ave Maria University is proud to serve those who have served our country. That’s why we accept the following GI Bill benefits for veterans:

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill for those who served active duty for at least two years in the U.S. military
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill for qualified members of the Reserves or National Guard
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation for veterans with a service-connected disability
  • Chapter 35: Dependents and survivors of Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program

How to Apply for Veterans’ Benefits

In order to apply for veterans’ benefits, you must submit appropriate documentation to the registrar’s office at least eight to 12 weeks prior to the beginning of your semester start date. This helps ensure timely processing. Our registrar will forward your application to the VA’s regional benefits office in Atlanta. Once approved, you will receive GI Bill checks in the mail; Ave will not receive them. If you wish to pay your tuition with proceeds from your veterans’ benefits, you may want to enroll in a payment plan with the bursar’s office.

Responsibilities When Receiving Veterans’ Benefits

Once you receive veterans’ benefits, you must inform the Office of Academic Records of:

  • Your intended enrollment each semester
  • Any change in course load within one week of the change to help reduce potential overpayment of benefits
  • Your current address and phone number, and any change of address
  • Any change in your major

Termination of Benefits

Your veterans’ benefits may be terminated if you’re placed on academic probation for two consecutive semesters. Should your benefits be terminated, we will notify you of the change. You will need to reapply for benefits if you re-enroll or continue your enrollment for subsequent semesters. Benefit termination is not limited to one time. You may also lose benefits should you be placed on academic suspension.

Military FAQs

I’m a U.S. military veteran. Can I get any benefits?

Yes, you can apply for veterans’ benefits by completing an application and submitting documentation to the Office of Academic Records.

Can I use military benefits?

Yes, you can use your benefits from the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31), and the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program if you are a dependent or survivor of a veteran (Chapter 35).

What are my military benefits?

You can find the benefits you qualify for, apply for benefits, and determine which benefits you have selected online through If you need assistance in determining which benefits you qualify for, contact your Veteran’s Service Office.

Can I use my military benefits for textbooks?

If you receive a books and supplies stipend with your military benefits, you may use them for textbooks and other course-related materials.

How do I use my military benefits?

In order to use your benefits, you must apply and submit any required documentation to our registrar’s office at least eight to 12 weeks prior to the start of the semester. After your application has been approved, you will receive GI Bill checks by mail, which you can then apply toward tuition. We recommend that you set up a payment plan with the bursar’s office in order to use your benefits for tuition costs.

Do I have to use my military benefits?

No, it is entirely your choice to use your benefits.