The 1098-T form is used by Ave Maria University and all eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act 1997. Ave Maria University is required to submit the student’s name, address, taxpayer’s identification number (TIN), enrollment status, amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. Every applicable student will receive a 1098-T form from the Ave Maria University. Feel free to contact the Ave Maria University Business Office with any questions and concerns regarding the 1098-T.
Ave Maria University is unable to provide individual tax advice. Please contact your tax advisor.
IRS Publications 970
Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997
Ave Maria University reports the amount billed during the calendar year, regardless of the term, in Box 2. The amount shown in Box 2 may represent an amount other than what was actually paid.
Box 2 shows the total amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reductions in charges that relate to those amounts billed.
Box 4 shows any adjustment made for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year Form 1098-T. This amount may reduce any allowable education credit that you claimed for the prior year (may result in an increase in tax liability for the year of the refund). See recapture in the index to Pub. 970 to report a reduction in your education credit or tuition and fees deduction.
Box 6 shows the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the eligible educational institution. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year (including those not reported by the institution) may reduce the amount of the education credit you claim for the year.
Expenses that do NOT qualify are insurance, medical expenses (including health fee), room and board, transportation (including bus fee), or similar personal, living, or family expenses, etc.
Students who will not receive a 1098-T
– Scholarships, Grants, or a Department Award equal or greater than qualified tuition and related expenses.
– If academic credit hours were not achieved during the calendar year for which the 1098-T is produced.
How to Access Your 1098-T
- The University encourages all students to receive their 1098-T form online through https://borrower.ecsi.net. Students not registering to view the form online will receive it by standard mail. 2015 1098-T forms will be mailed to eligible students in late January. Please be aware that Ave Maria University is not responsible for forms lost or delayed in the mail. If a mailed 1098-T form is not received the student must obtain their form online through https://borrower.ecsi.net. You can also view your 1098-T for 2014 and previous years online by creating a password and logging into your account following the instructions in the following tab.
Access Your 1098-T Online
Creating a Password to ECSI’s Website 1.
1.Go to https://borrower.ecsi.net [link]
2. Enter Ave Maria University’s school code: T7
3. DO NOT enter a Password. Click on “Need help logging in?”
4. Enter all information then click “Submit”.
5. Use info to login to your account. Be sure to change your password.
Accessing Your 1098-T After Logging in
1. Click on “My Account Menu”.
2. Click on “Account Tools”.
3. Click on “Tax Information”.
4. Choose the 1098-T form by year and click “View”.