Current Students – Frequently Asked Questions

I am feeling homesick, depressed, anxious, nervous, and upset. Where can I go?

If you are having issues adjusting to campus life, or are dealing with other personal problems, professional counseling services are available. Contact Counseling Services for more details.

I'm having trouble academically. Who can I talk to?

There are numerous resources available for students; first and foremost, the student can contact their professor with any specific questions for that particular class. Students can also get in contact with their academic advisor who can assist them on a broader level. The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE Place) is located on the second floor of the Student Union and has tutors and other resources available.

I am having trouble with my roommate. What should I do?

The first step in dealing with roommate conflicts is going to your Resident Assistant (RA). If your RA is unable to resolve the issue, they will assist you in contacting the Residence Director for further action.

Who do families contact in case of a family emergency (i.e. death or serious illness) and need to get in touch with a student?

In cases of emergency, family members should contact the Office of Student Affairs and notify one of the staff members of the situation. The appropriate measures will then be taken to contact the student.

I'm having a medical emergency. What do I do?

If you’re experiencing an immediate medical emergency, please dial 911. The nearest hospital with emergency services is the NCH North Collier Hospital at 11190 Health Park Blvd, Naples, FL 34110, nearest the intersection of Goodlette and Immokalee Road. Their number is 239-552-7000.

What should I do if I get locked out of my room?

If you are locked out of your room, please notify your RA or the RD on call.  The RD will be able to help you to get into your room.

What should I do if I want to report something to security?

You can call security at  239-280-6289 or ext. 6289. You can also submit a silent report by clicking on silent report from the security webpage.  The silent report will allow us to contact you using the contact information you provide.  We encourage you to use the silent report as it is an effective means beginning an investigation process.