Ave Maria University recognizes that many students face a variety of challenges adapting to the academic level of a university education. We are dedicated to supporting all of our students in their goals of academic achievement.
Student Support Services (collectively known as “The Hub”) offers assistance to all students in a variety of areas including tutoring services, academic counseling, and academic advising. Our mission is to provide support for students at every stage of the college journey, from the time of admission until graduation.
The Writing Center @ AMU is available to all students, regardless of grade or skill level. The Center offers 30-minute tutoring sessions during which your tutor will assess your writing both in general and in regards to your specific assignment.
Student Support Services
Student Support Services is dedicated to helping AMU students become AMU graduates! We offer a wide variety of support programs, services, and activities in an accessible & centralized location. These services include:
- Advising for undeclared students
- Academic counseling to help each student perform to the best of their academic ability
- Academic planning and determining progress towards graduation
- One on one and group tutoring; assistance with papers
- Early Warning System to identify struggling students
- Support for freshman and transfer students as they transition to coursework at AMU
- Time management assistance and help to create individualized study plans
- Study skills workshops and seminars
- Adaptive Resources, available for students with documented disabilities
Schedule An Appointment
By contacting Student Support Services
Telephone: (239) 304-7823
- Academic Counseling
- Advising Services
- Tutoring Services
- Parents Outreach Program
- Office Hours & Personnel
Academic counseling provides students with the skills, support, and guidance necessary to achieve academic success. Our counselors work individually with students to clarify priorities and set milestones for success. We are available to serve all undergraduate students at every stage of college life.
Reasons to Visit an Academic Counselor:
- To sharpen your study or time management skills
- To ask questions about an academic policy
- For assistance with choosing or changing a major or minor
- For assistance with your class schedule or academic planning
- If you’re feeling “stressed out” or overwhelmed
- For support and guidance with academic difficulties
- If you need someone to talk to about a personal issue
Popular Services Include:
- Time Management
- Goal Setting
- Project Management
- Establishing a Study Plan
- Dealing with Stress
- Focus & Concentration
- Test Preparation & Test-Taking Strategies
- College Reading Skills
To set up an appointment, please contact SupportServices@avemaria.edu or call (239) 304-7823.
Student Support Services provides advising support to students who haven’t picked a major yet, or who may be unsure of their initial choice of major. We help students explore their interests, skills, and goals so that they can make an informed choice of major. Our services include:
- Academic Planning (mapping out the next four years, exploring different options for majors and minors)
- Assistance with class selection
- Resources for different majors, minors, and special programs offered at AMU
- Support for transfer students (understanding your transfer credits and determining your progress towards graduation)
If you are looking for tutoring in a particular subject, click the link to see the tutoring schedule for that subject. (All tutoring takes place in the Hub unless otherwise specified.)
–Tutoring schedules coming soon–
We know that parental support is an important element of student success. Our goal is to make sure you have all the information and resources you need to support your student throughout his or her collegiate experience. We are here to answer your questions and offer assistance. When you have a question and you’re not sure whom to call, please contact us. If we don’t know the answer, we’ll find help for you.
For parents of transitioning students (freshman and transfer)
We know that transitioning to college life, or adjusting to a new college, can be difficult and we are here to help. We assign each new student (freshmen and transfers) an academic counselor. The academic counselor will reach out to the student in the first couple weeks of the semester, introduce themselves, and explain our support services. If your student has any questions or concerns throughout the semester, the counselor can assist them, if the concern is outside of our purview, introduce them to the appropriate staff member. The professors will also notify us of any students who may be struggling (poor attendance, failed/missed exams, etc) so that the counselor can help them get back on track.
We advise students on major/minor selection, as well as requirements for specific programs. We can also assist with questions regarding transfer or AP/IB credits.
Lastly, we are here if your student just needs someone to talk to on campus. The college transition, particularly in the first couple months, can be overwhelming. The more demanding coursework coupled with newfound freedom can leave many students struggling to manage their time. Some students find the study skills that got them through high school need to be adjusted or improved. Some students have trouble balancing academic life with extra curricular, athletic, or work obligations. Some are doing fine academically, but struggling with homesickness or dorm life. Whatever the situation, we are here to help.
Student Support Services
Phone Number: (239) 304-7823
Email Address: SupportServices@avemaria.edu
Office Hours & Location
Student Support Services “The Hub” Bob Thomas Student Union 2007
Ave Maria University
5050 Ave Maria Blvd.
Ave Maria, FL 34142
|Monday||10:00am – 10:00pm|
|Tuesday||10:00am – 10:00pm|
|Wednesday||10:00am – 10:00pm|
|Thursday||10:00am – 10:00pm|
|Friday||10:00am – 4:00pm|
|Sunday||4:00pm – 10:00pm|
Anne Hart, Director – Anne.Hart@avemaria.edu
Chelsea Kozisek, Operations Manager & Academic Advisor – Chelsea.Kozisek@avemaria.edu
Elise Rose, Director of Tutoring Services & Academic Advisor – Elise.Rose@avemaria.edu
Sharon O’Reilly, Director of Adaptive Services & Academic Advisor – Sharon.OReilly@avemaria.edu
Larry Doherty, Academic Advisor – Lawrence.Doherty@avemaria.edu
Janet Holtfreter, Academic Advisor – Janet.Holtfreter@avemaria.edu