Ave Maria University is accepting nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA). The VPAA reports to the President of the University and serves on the University Council. Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning devoted to Mary the Mother of God, inspired by St. John Paul II and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, and dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service. The University offers thirty undergraduate B.A./B.S degrees in addition to an M.A. and Ph.D. in theology, and is located in Southwestern Florida in the new town of Ave Maria.
The successful candidate will be a scholar-administrator, with a strong background of teaching and scholarship, an established record in managing the duties of the office, and demonstrable dedication to the Catholic mission of the University.
Nominations and applications should be submitted to Christy Dorer, Administrative Assistant, 5050 Ave Maria University, Ave Maria, FL, 34142. Applications should include a letter of application, CV, five letters of recommendation, and a statement concerning the applicant’s fit with the mission of the University in light of Ex Corde Ecclesiae. Two letters of recommendation should be from referees qualified to assess the candidate’s administrative abilities, two letters from referees qualified to assess the candidate’s teaching and scholarship, and one letter from a referee qualified to assess the candidate’s commitment to the Catholic identity of the university. The Committee will review applications until the position is filled. All applications and nominations will be considered confidential.
Job Title: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Department: Academic Affairs/Administration
Reports to: President
Employee Class: Full Time
Primary Purpose: Provide the overall supervision and oversight for the academic programs, activities, and personnel of Ave Maria University. Supervise the functions, budgets and personnel of all academic departments and implement the educational degree programs of the university at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise all academic programs and activities.
• Supervise/communicate with direct reports.
• Maintain institutional effectiveness and accreditation.
• Respond to regional accreditation associations and state licensure bodies.
• Supervise academic convocations, conferences and speakers.
• Oversee the summer activities of the university, whether of an academic, recruitment or developmental nature.
• Coordinate faculty searches.
• Prepare annual/semester schedule of salaries as well as the budgets for the instructional departments.
• Prepare and oversee annual faculty evaluations and promotions.
• Serve as liaison with Student Life, Marketing and Enrollment, and other administrative units.
• Schedule meetings of the faculty and department chairs on a monthly or as needed basis.
• Develop academic grants and fundraising projects.
• Serve on University Council, Senior Staff, and selected Academic Affairs related committees.
Incidental Duties: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work required of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Education: Ph.D. or an equivalent degree.
Experience: Teaching at the university level; scholarship; administrative.
Certification: Rank of Associate or Full Professor or eligibility to be appointed to such ranks.
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.