Politics is the study of man in communities and deliberation about how best to order man's social existence. The main objective of Ave Maria University's Politics major is to advance students' critical understanding of the nature and purpose of political life.
Employment Opportunities for the Politics Major
*Some occupations may require education or experience beyond a bachelor's degree.
Skills of Politics Majors with Professional Value
- Ability to develop and market ideas
- Ability to interact with diverse populations
- Ability to take initiative and be self starting
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills.
- Fluency in languages
- Grasp of political processes at multiple levels
- Grasp of linkages among politics, economics, history and culture
Strategies for Increasing Employability
- Complete an internship in government or related area.
- Serve in model United Nations.
- Become involved in student government.
- Participate in cross-cultural groups and organizations.
- Develop skills in computers, statistics, and data analysis.
Acquire foreign language competency and travel experience for international positions.
- Supplement curriculum with business courses.
- Volunteer with the staff of a government official.
- Participate in local or national campaigns.
- Obtain specialized certification for paralegal positions.